Saturday, June 23, 2012

Spearmint

Spearmint
Mint Julep

I love this plant. I have bought one and can't wait for it to multiply. I think I can keep up with it by making tea! I use five crushed leaves (crushed with my fingers) and a pinch of the corsician mint in my tea ball and pour hot water over it. Delicious! Way more flavorful than store bought "mint" tea.

Purchased from Garden Fever in May 2012. Planted by the downspout by the back door.

Medicinal uses: Leaves when eaten calm upset stomachs and stop vomiting in pregnancy. Anti-androgenic properties help remove unwanted hair on women by reducing the level of free testosterone in the blood.

partial shade
1-3' tall
plant 36-48" apart
perennial (recommended to be replanted every 3-4 years)

spearmint seeds are poisonous if ingested
plant must flower for seeds to develop
press seeds into the soil - they will germinate 10-15 days later

pH of 5.6-7.5 is preferred

mint likes iron. Poke a large nail near the base of the plant.
susceptible to aphiods, white fly, spidermites, meal bug and rust
once established, freely pick the leaves. It grows faster with frequent cuttings.
Just before the flowers bloom cut plant 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down. If it blooms the plant will loose its aroma and flavor.


No comments: